12 => 13.0.0-1A Modules do not upgrade

Hello,

I am wanting to upgrade the site to 13 RC6. I successfully apply the first upgrade. When I go to Apps Market => Updates, there is just a light green square with no text that appears. The upgrade_modules.log says

Cannot get a list of modules which require to be upgraded

I also see that error appear in the log from early March. I did not try to upgrade Una at that time.

Any help that can be provided will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob

• More
Replies (6)
    • Hello @Te Ara Paerangi Community !

Do you see any FAIL / Warning messages in your Studio->Dashboard->Server audit area? Perhaps your allow_url_fopen option isn't enabled.

• Thanks for helping @LeonidS . No there were no warning messages. I just checked and the allow_url_fopen is enabled.

• UPDATE: in this case, the reason was in the old PHP version (5.6). UNA 13.A1 requires 7.4 or higher.

• Unfortunately, this is not the case.

I have tried changing the PHP version to 7.4 prior to upgrade from 12. It still does not show any modules to be upgraded at 13.A1. After checking the release notes, (https://github.com/unaio/una/releases) where I saw PHP 7.4 was required starting 13.0.0-B2, I tried upgrading keeping PHP version 5.6 until 13.0.0-B1, then switching to 7.4 for the B2 upgrade, and still no modules to be upgraded appeared. Because the modules were not upgrading, the front end quit working. I then was able to choose a different theme and download the 13.X version of the theme which then made the front end appear again. The core problem seems to be that it is not recognising that modules are to be upgraded. I am stuck and not sure what to try next.

Is there a way to force module upgrades from the command line?

Thanks!

Rob

• UPDATE: as we checked together the server was keeping to use PHP 5.6 for this site. After switching it to 7.4 (and Cron Jobs too instead of 7.2) the upgrade started to go smoothly. The only stuck was in the 13 A3 perhaps with the lack of resources (256 Mb of memory limit, better have higher value).

• For others who might be in a similar situation, a brief description of our initial site setup and solution to the upgrade issues:

The site was set up on a shared host which uses cPanel and Softaculous. The install version 12.X was done with Softaculous. The cron jobs were set up following some cPanel instructions. Una 12 is based on PHP 5.6 which I had chosen via cPanel. When I set up the cron jobs initially, they were hard coded to PHP 5.6. I changed them somewhere along the way to PHP 7.2. The Una upgrade docs say that there is a change to PHP 7.4 at 13.0.0-B2. I tried various iterations of the upgrade restoring files and database from backups each time. The main issue was that the modules did not upgrade at each step. This was due to the PHP 7.2 hard coded into the cron jobs.

Ultimately, the solution was to start with 12.X, change the PHP version in cPanel to 7.4 and change the hard coded PHP version in the cron jobs to 7.4. Then start the upgrade process. After each upgrade, wait a bit for the cron job to run and the modules will be automatically updated (mostly) then check that there are no modules to update manually. If there are, then update them manually before upgrading to the next level. As @LeonidS mentions, there was a spot that it got 'stuck'. I think it eventually got there, but it was late and I went to get some sleep. He finished the upgrade for me and I am very, very appreciative of his help with this.

Login or Join to comment.